Nushrat Bharucha is a well-known Bollywood actress who has starred in several films starting from her debut in Kal Kissne Dekha (2009). After her first commercial successes with experimental film Love Sex Aur Dhokha (2010) and Buddy romantic comedy Pyaar Ka Punchnama (2011), she would go on star in a series of commercial failures until Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2 (2015) along with her highest-grossing comedy films Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety (2018) and Dream Girl (2019).
Table of Contents
- Real Name – Nushrat Bharucha (Nickname – Babu)
- Birthday – May
- Age – 35 years
- Birth Place – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Date of Birth – 17 May 1985
- Debut Movie – Jai Santoshi Maa (2006)
- Famous roles – Ruchika/Chiku in Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2
- Nationality – Indian
- Profession – Actress, model
- Religion – Parsian
- Sun sign – Taurus
- Father – Businessman Tanveer Bohra
- Mother – Tasneem Bohra
- Husband/spouse – N/A
- Children – N/A
- Siblings – Zain-ul-Bharucha (brother)
Nushrat Bharucha was born in Mumbai, India on the 17th of May, 1985. In her childhood years, she had a cheerful nature. She attended and completed her studies in Lilavati Bai Padar High School, Mumbai. As soon as she was done with her schooling, she would go on to college in hopes of finishing her advanced studies. However, she took a change in career to become an actress due to her childhood fascination with all the Bollywood movie and television superstars grew up watching.
According to an interview she did sometime this year, Nushrat explained that she developed a deep fascination for acting during her childhood, which is why she used to take part in every school function. And she indeed lived up to her word by pursuing acting upon her graduation. After her graduation, she enrolled in acting school to polish up on her acting skills in order to study acting with laser-focused attention.
After training for more than two years in acting school, Nushrat Bharucha attempted to audition for several Bollywood films between the years 2000 and 2006 but mediated into several production houses and would often go into depression. However, in 2006 she got her break by starting her first movie “Jai Santoshi Maa”, but the movie didn’t fare well at the box office and ultimately flopped big time. She would wait for three years until she got a brief role in Kal Kissne Dekha (2009) that starred Jackky Bhagnani who had made his film debut.
Nushrat will go on the star in subsequent films after that but without garnering any actual recognition. One of those films included Dibakar Banerjee’s film Love Sex Aur Dhokha where she played the lead role opposite to Anshuman Jha. She would later go on to have her first big break Luv Ranjan’s 2011 movie Pyar Ka Punchnama. In the movie, she plays the girlfriend of Kartik Aaryan’s character where she became the object of every male fan’s affection in a heartbeat. Though it still wouldn’t give her enough recognition to become one of Bollywood’s upper echelon of stars.
Bharucha would then go on to star in her next mega screen film in 2013, Akaash Vani, and although it performed decently, it still didn’t elevate her fame to the level she wanted. Two years later in 2015, she starred in Darr @ The Mall (2015) opposite Jimmy Sheirgill which was a huge box office disaster. But just when all hope was lost, Bharucha finally made a big breakthrough by starting in “Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2”. The movie received mixed to positive reviews from both critics and fans alike and became a commercial success at the Indian box office garnering over ₹880 million (US$13 million) worldwide. From here on out, Bharucha’s career had finally seen a positive incline. After her performance in the sequel, Bharucha received several film offers from various producers and film studios.
Then in 2018, Bharucha would reunite with Aaryan and Nijar in Rangan’s romantic comedy, Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety, which is about a man trying to free his friend from his fiancée whom the former believes to be a gold digger. In spite of its mixed reception from critics, the film proved to be a blockbuster rounding up about ₹1.08 billion (US$16 million) in domestic earnings as well as becoming Bharucha’s first film to be included in the 100 Crore Club. It also went on to become one of her most successful films to date.
And her momentum didn’t stop with that as she would then go on to star in 2019 film Dream Girl directed by Raaj Shaandilyaa starting opposite to Ayushmann Khurrana in which Khurrana plays a cross-gender actor whose female voice imitation earns the attention from so many people. The film got a mixed response from critics who mainly critiqued the “entity” writing as well as the “tasteless” humor. However, they did praise the performances of the cast including that of Khurrana and Bharucha. Dream Girl would gross over about ₹1 billion (US$14 million) at the domestic box office after 10 days of its release and became Bharucha’s second film to enter the 100 Crore Club. It grossed internationally with over ₹1.92 billion (US$28 million), evidently making it her highest-grossing release to date. It should be noted that besides Hindi films, Bharucha has also acted out in Telugu and Tamil language films. In the same year, she would go on to perform an item number “Peeyu Datke” for the Milap Zaveri-directed thriller Marjaavaan.
Bharucha is now set to star in Hansal Mehta’s Turram Khan opposite Rajkummar Rao and also Nikhil Nagesh Bhatt’s Hurdang opposite Vijay Varma and Sunny Kaushal.
Facts about Nushrat Bharucha
- She got her first stage performance at the age of 14 where she played the role of Miss Hawaii during her school’s annual function
- Bharucha actively took part in various plays and drama during her school days
- At the time of her graduation, Bharucha worked as a scout for a talent management firm, but she was offered a role in the serial “Kittie Party.”
- She would continue to do the show for over a year, but then left the firm as working long hours was very taxing on her health, along with the ill-treatment of a couple of people over there.
- Bharucha continued doing theater for a few years
- Her career officially took off in an ad commercial starring alongside actress Asin
- When she got through with her graduation, she would go on to become a film actress
- Bharucha appeared in various magazine covers including “Travel+Leisure,” “Femina Brides,” “FHM India,” and “Exhibit.”
- She also walked on the ramp for fashion weeks such as “IFFD India Runway Week,” and “Bombay Times Fashion Week.”